Tuesday, December 21, 2021

The Moment I Met You (Chapter 306)

By Nightengale Ben-Onyeukwu



He could see and hear Chioma in the kitchen, the clinking of cups and a hissing noise which sounded like she had placed a wet kettle on a fiery burning furnace. Not far away from here, he could hear the clucking of hens. It seemed the neighbours reared chickens.  

‘Why did you let Felix keep hurting himself?’Peter asked as Chioma reappeared. ‘I know that I have never loved you for my boss but…I think that there’s some goodness found in you.’                                         

‘I wanted severally to tell him…’                                                                  

‘But just like in movies, you didn’t get the chance to tell him.’Peter finished for her.                                                                                                        

Chioma sighed as if in agreement.                                                        

  ‘I understand that he believes he owns you and had never given you the chance, but then, you’re too smart to let this happen. Everyone will blame you, and Jessica will be the hero.’                                        

‘I take the blame.’                                                                                              

‘You do, but how?’ Peter raised one eyebrow. 

  ‘I am a coward…’                                                                                      

‘And foolish,’ said Peter with a smirk. ‘You’re not only hurting Felix, you’re also hurting Michael, Audrey…so many people.’                

Tears filled Chioma’s eyes. She didn’t know what to say.                

‘It wasn’t your fault, but everyone will blame you for this.’                             

‘Why haven’t you told Felix about this?’                                                         

‘Because I was only given a minor role to play in the story that makes it none of my business…’                                                                            

Chioma was shocked with everything happening around her. None of these was her fault, but no one would think as such. She was certain that she would be blamed. Before Peter could finish his statement, the whistling of the kettle blasted out and she went quickly to the kitchen leaving him with an unreadable expression. He didn’t know why he hadn’t told Felix yet about Chioma and Michael. Maybe, because he felt that it wasn’t Chioma’s fault or maybe because he felt that it wasn’t his business to meddle.                                                                                     

‘Chioma, when would you tell Felix about this?’ Peter asked as she came back with two mugs of tea and a plate of freshly baked bread Andrew had bought this morning before leaving for work. ‘Hope you’re prepared to be in the headlines?’                                                                          

  ‘Did you come here to torture me?’                                                      

‘Why would I do that?’Peter looked up at her. ‘I came to bring breakfast to you. Sir Felix asked me to. I will advice you to settle this problem as soon as possible. Once this is settled, you’ll have to buy me free lunch. ’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Letters To My Love

Chapter Four: A Casual but Exciting Proposal One sunny afternoon, as Night headed out to interview someone for her blog, she received a vi...