Thursday, December 23, 2021

The Moment I Met You (Chapter 350)

 By Nightengale Ben-Onyeukwu


Andrew came home by evening in his blue overall, grim-faced, and told Chioma that he had lost his job. Chioma was cooking beans for dinner.

                  

‘What did you do wrong?’Chioma asked even though she knew she shouldn’t have asked such question. She looked at the streaks of dirt and oil which had stained him from the garage and wondered why he decided to go home like this instead of washing up at the garage.   

                 
‘I did nothing wrong. There was a difference of opinion between me and my boss.’                                                                                                
‘Difference of opinion, what do you mean by that?’                                    
 
‘I don’t actually know, but I know that wicked people in my village have cast an evil eye on my family.’ His words sounded funny but this wasn’t the time to laugh.   He turned his face away from Chioma’s concerned gaze. He didn’t want her to worry too much.                                

  ‘We’ll survive it. GOD will surely help us. You will get a better job someday…’Chioma said soothingly. ‘Come on, big brother, sit down,’she said, her voice gentle as she patted a chair for Andrew to sit.                          

  ‘Do you think I will get a good reference from my boss? Mr Ali has always supported me, but I was surprised with the sudden change of attitude. It’s as if someone paid him to attack me. I don’t get it. I gave my life and time. I gave my best just for him to fire me for no reason? You know how much I love to change and wash myself before returning home, but I didn’t get the chance. He didn’t allow me to heat up water with the stove,’ he paused, and then said in a small voice, ‘when I was with him, I worked with all my heart. If I wanted to go for lunch most times or about to eat my lunch, a customer arrives; I will be trapped for another half-hour…All I get today, is to be fired.’                                             
 ‘People change,’ she paused. ‘You can be your own boss…I should make you a cup of tea.’                                                                                

  ‘How much will a cup of tea help?’Andrew felt like crying, but there was no tears coming out. ‘We need to pay our bills. We need money to survive, Chioma.’                                                                                        

‘I still have my job,’Chioma said from the kitchen. ‘Mum, still have her fruits. We will always support one another, right?’                                   

   She turned to look at Andrew but he didn’t reply. As the kettle on the stove boiled, a chill descended over Chioma, as if someone had just dropped a flexible sheet of ice on her. She felt that her brother was fired from his job because someone either threatened Ali or paid him to do so. If not, Ali would never lift a finger to fire her brother. The question would always be; who was behind this?                          

‘Please, don’t tell Chisom about this yet. I don’t want her to be worried.’                                                                                                                

  ‘I will tell her. You shouldn’t hide anything from your girlfriend. I know she will understand,’Chioma said, putting a mug of strong, sweet tea into Andrew’s hand. ‘You were fired from the job that you shouldn’t have even become a part of. Don’t upset yourself. You’ll find better opportunities.’                                                                                                       

Andrew nodded, raising the mug to his lips. He felt comforted. Just then his phone rang. It was Chisom calling.                                

‘Mum isn’t back yet,’Chioma muttered, looking at the clock.             

Andrew hung up the call and said to Chioma, ‘Mum was arrested today for being accused of stealing a wallet. She is still at the police station.’                                                                                                                 

Chioma was shocked to hear this. Immediately, Andrew went to the bathroom stepped out from the overall and tossed it on the floor of the bathroom, then reached for the blue soap on the soap dish and began to wash. The water in the bucket was cold, and he felt that he could wash off the entire smell of the garage. Then, in few minutes, he returned to the living room, wearing a refreshing blue trousers and black shirt, and they boarded a taxi to the police station. On the way to the police station, Chioma wrecked her brain trying to find her mother a way out. She wondered why someone would stoop so low to accuse her mother for stealing a wallet. She had a gut feeling that Jessica had done this. Her feeling was confirmed when the car arrived at the police station, she saw Jessica step out from her Porsche.                 

Jessica couldn’t hide the smirk on her face when she saw Chioma walking towards the entrance with Andrew. She purposely strode quickly to the entrance. ‘Chioma, bet you didn’t see this coming, huh? You thought you had me beaten for this few months I was in Paris,’she chuckled. ‘Just look at the situation now. I just came here to tell a friend of mine that I was today engaged to Nathan only to hear that your mother stole someone’s wallet. Michael isn’t even here to help you with the mess your mother created.’                                                          

Jessica came here so she would pay the police officers to torture Louisa until she begged to leave Abuja and head for the village with her family. Her family has power and influence, so she could use her family name to toss Louisa to any corner she wanted. Money and authority can buy many things, Jessica thought with her lips curled into a ridicule. Chioma I’m sorry but I know that you can’t do anything to save your mother. She might even have to spend her entire life here.                

  Chioma was annoyed with the fact that her mother was accused for doing nothing.                                                                                            

  ‘Because of your stupidity your mother is going to rot in here. You wouldn’t say I did this, because I am not as heartless as you.’                          

   ‘If you didn’t do it, then you don’t have to worry,’Andrew said, looking up at Jessica. ‘But once I discover that you are the plot, I will make you regret ever being born.’                                                                           

Jessica looked at Andrew like he was looking at a piece of garbage and scoffed, ‘I want to tell you the same thing, don’t ever thought of crossing path with me else I will make you regret it. I will make you find out what is the meaning of hell on earth. Then, even if you kneel down to lick my heels; I wouldn’t let you off the hook!’                       

A laugh escaped Chioma’s mouth. ‘Me, lick your heels? Perhaps, you will be the one to beg me…’she looked at her brother. ‘Let’s go.’ They ignored Jessica and went inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Letters To My Love

Chapter Four: A Casual but Exciting Proposal One sunny afternoon, as Night headed out to interview someone for her blog, she received a vi...