Thursday, December 23, 2021

The Moment I Met You (Chapter 355)

  By Nightengale Ben-Onyeukwu           


 

‘We do have a choice, Ali. But you chose the wrong path. Anyway, you weren’t to know that things will change so quickly once you fired my brother. And you were right-it was time my brother finds a job that will elevate him.’Chioma summoned up a smile. ‘We’re more fortunate than some of those poor souls that are crying to have at least breakfast…My brother will be fine, but then, sometimes we need to do the right thing. You didn’t do that instead you listened to Jessica and fired my brother. You didn’t think of the future, you thought of now. Unfortunately, you ruined everything. If you had listened to your heart, you could have found another place and my brother will still work for you. But thank you, for because of what you did my brother will now have to step into his many doors of victory. So you see, you might be left here alone.  At least with my brother around you will have customers crawling in.’                                                                   

                  

Behind the smile of Chioma was the icy thoughts of where could Andrew get another job. It was difficult finding work to do in this country. There was no vacancy opening for now. Chioma kept on smiling hopefully into Ali’s guilty face, but inside, she felt as though her heart was breaking.                                                                                                            

‘Can you help me bring your brother back?’ Ali pleaded.                   

‘I have come here to do that, but after listening to you I realise that just like you said, my brother deserves better. So, no, Andrew wouldn’t come here. Find another replacement.’She slowly stood up.                                                                                                                                                

‘I’m sorry,’Ali said, looking at Chioma.                                                            

‘The world is full of injustice and prejudice and maybe hiring Andrew back wouldn’t change that, but if you leave this place for another place, you will stop taking orders from Jessica, your life might improve. You have a choice. Don’t wait until you become her minion.’               

  ‘I can’t say anything about moving out of here today,’Ali said. ‘But if it will improve my person, I will from today look for another place. You could drop your line so that I will call you once I find another place.’                                                                                                                                        ‘You’d do that?’Chioma looked very surprised.                                            

‘Only if you forgive me for firing your brother,’Ali said. ‘I know Andrew might never go back to mechanic work. But then, I will try my best.’                                                                                                                    

Chioma sighed. ‘I’ll tell you what,’ she said, reaching into her inside pocket of her sweater and drawing out a card. ‘This is our address and my phone number. I made this sample card for the future. But since I don’t have a pen to right my phone number down I have to give you this card. Hopefully, I will prepare another one. The home address might change soon but the phone number will remain. You could call me anytime that you want. I forgive you.’                                                  

Ali smiled. ‘I will,’he said, slipping the card into his pocket.            

‘I ought to go now, if that’s all right with you,’Chioma pouted.                                                                                                                                                 

‘Of course, you ought to leave for work.’Ali got up and took Chioma’s hand. He didn’t shake it but pressed it between his two large hands. ‘You are like my own daughter. Thank you so much for coming here today and talking to me. I will have peace today knowing that I have lifted the burden in my heart.’                                                                              

As chioma walked to the gate, the customers began to arrive, followed by the mechanics. Chioma looked back over her shoulder at Ali. For just a moment their eyes met and Ali smiled. He knew then that, though Chioma wasn’t as beautiful as Jessica, she was the right man for Michael. She was like an angel with sunshine on her shoulders.                                                                                                                                        

He glanced at the card. Even if Andrew didn’t become his worker anymore, he would do the right thing by locating a new place instead of taking orders from Jessica.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Letters To My Love

Chapter Four: A Casual but Exciting Proposal One sunny afternoon, as Night headed out to interview someone for her blog, she received a vi...