Sunday, January 10, 2021

The moment I met you (Chapter 66)

  By Nightengale Ben-Onyeukwu


 Then, he looked at his luxury wrist-watch. His facial expression seemed to be sealed of ice. It was devoid of emotion. Jessica could sense that he would never love her even if she continued to try. ‘Maybe you need a bottle of water to feel better, what do you think?’                                              

‘I don’t need a bottle of water,’ she retorted.                              

‘Perhaps you’ll need this instead?’Michael said as he rose to his feet, heading for the water dispenser in the corner of the office. Taking a paper cup and filling it with water, he said, ‘This will calm your arching heart.’ He turned towards Jessica, handing the water to her.                    

Feeling wronged, Jessica asked, ‘Is this the way to treat me?’                  

Michael scoffed. ‘Were you born in the year of the goat?’                             

‘You are the one born in the year of the goat,’ Jessica retorted, shooting him a cold glare.                                                                       

Michael smirked. Putting the water down, he went back to his seat. ‘Jessica, stop making life hard on you. We have never been destined to share our lives together.’                                                                           

‘I will tell your mum that you found yourself a street girl.’ 

‘Going to tell on me? Are you a three-year old? He said in a mocking tone.                                                                                                                   

Jessica felt miserable. She tried her best to control the threatening tears. ‘Michael, you have changed! You weren’t like this in the past; before we went out to the mall with your Mum and you never complained. Now just because of that ugly girl in the photo you don’t care about me anymore? Fine, we have known each other for many years, yet, you are ending our relationship so flippantly.’                                      

‘We have never been in any relationship. I have always defined myself to you. I’ve spelt it out even before I met this girl in the photo. I never gave you hope. I never kept you hanging,’ he said, correcting. ‘So please, stop bothering me with your foolish nonsense.’       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Letters To My Love

Chapter Four: A Casual but Exciting Proposal One sunny afternoon, as Night headed out to interview someone for her blog, she received a vi...