Friday, December 24, 2021

The Moment I Met You (Chapter 377)

By Nightengale Ben-Onyeukwu





 At City Hospital, Edward appeared to be furious as he lay on his lavish bed in his VIP room. The news of Edward’s hospitalisation was completely sealed, Edward didn’t want any of the media outlets to know about his stay here, but when Michael arrived from Port Harcourt and went straight to here, reporters had followed him behind, which would have been easy for the media to know about his hospitalization, but Michael didn’t tell the media whom he had come to visit.

There were three smartly dressed body guards standing outside, and just as Emmanuel and Rebecca arrived at the door, Patricia who happens to be wearing  a dark green jacket and dress with sequin detailing that was custom made by Valentino, walked out from inside.       

She smiled slightly when she saw them. ‘He has been waiting.’                                                                                                                  

Rebecca nodded and then walked in with Emmanuel into the room. There bodyguards didn’t come inside with them. They were outside the hospital patiently waiting for them.                      

  Rebecca was very beautiful just like Patricia, even though she was tailing on in age, the beauty was still there because she was someone that took very good care of herself. She had spent her years in luxury, so why wouldn’t someone like her who was almost fifty look beautiful, elegant and poised.    

When Edward saw them, the strawberry he was holding in his hand dropped to the floor.                                                                         

‘What step do we take?’Emmanuel asked as he sat down on the chair in front of Edward, with a grim expression. ‘You son embarrassed us once more.’                                                                    

Edward smiled bitterly. ‘Isn’t it obvious, my son doesn’t love your daughter?’                                                                                       

  ‘What do you mean?’Emmanuel raised an eyebrow.                                      

‘What do I mean? My son is very handsome. Many women are always seeking his attention, one after another, models and superstars. There are even socialites and famous television hosts. They all want to be with my son… I had to fake to have heart attack, and endured being pricked by a needle…anyway, it was vitamin C injections that I took. I wouldn’t risk my life more than that…but I see that my efforts to get my son to have pity on my health and visit me often, that way I could talk some sense into telling him to marry your daughter, was for nothing…I have taught my son severally that people like us shouldn’t really talk about feelings, because it is not worth a thing in front of profits. My son seems to go against me when it comes to love, what else can I do? I have tried my best, and I really want Jessica for my son, but will I continue to lie here waiting for my son to visit often when I know he might have seen through my pretense.’                                                  

Emmanuel grew depressed when he heard Edward’s words. ‘I know that your son hates my daughter, but I still want them together because I don’t want to see tears in my daughter’s eyes.’                          

Edward raised his head and looked at Rebecca. ‘I think you should tell your daughter to fall in love with Nathan instead. I am pretending to have heart attack, I don’t want it to come for real.’              

‘Are you saying that you want that low life for your son?’Rebecca asked gently, concealing her anger.                                                      

‘Patricia has left for Wuse Market to meet with Michael and Chioma. She wants to cause a scene that would make Chioma to shamefully leave Michael…I know that I truly despise that low girl but I will admit that her natural elegance is enough to beat anyone, even if she didn’t were any makeup. However, I still consider my son to be very unlucky to allow that lowly girl step into his heart and take control of it.’                                                                  

‘She doesn’t love your son; she only cares for your family shares. We shouldn’t be blinded by her innocent face. Girls like that know how to be cunning as well as good. She is only trying to marry Michael for his money whereas my daughter wants your son for his love…if you let that girl succeed in marrying your son, then you have to think about your dying days, because I know that    she will force Michael to divide your properties into two. Don’t let her deceive you.’                                                                                

‘Rebecca enough! You know how much I truly hate Chioma. I have done all I could to make my son love your daughter, for old time sake, for my friendship with your husband…but right now, I don’t know what to do. The more I try to stop them, the more they fall deeper in love…’                                                                                    

Emmanuel shook his head. ‘If we must succeed in maintaining our reputation, then we must do something about this…’he paused. ‘I think that the best place to attack Chioma is to attack those that she loves, destroy everything that connects to her, that way she would have no choice than to break up with Michael.’ With that said, Emmanuel took Rebecca’s hand and turned to walk away.                                                                                                        

After Emmanuel and his wife left, Edward broke a vase in the room and spilled juice everywhere. Michael wasn’t going to marry Jessica, he was certain of that. But he was most annoyed about the fact that Michael insured Chioma’s body parts for 100 million dollars, a lowly-woman that wasn’t worth spending that much on. He recently found out about this but didn’t tell Emmanuel and Rebecca about it, for their hope might be completely shattered if they heard this.

In this cool evening, Michael decided to take Chioma home. As he drove on the road, he kept sneaking glances at Chioma who was happily waving her hand about, admiring the ring on her finger.                                                                                                           

Michael smiled, and then his gaze went to the rear-view mirror and noticed that something was wrong. He had wanted to bring Chioma straight home, but he immediately changed his mind, taking a sharp turn towards another direction.                                                                                           

  ‘Hey, that’s not the way to my home,’Chioma quickly reminded him.                                                                                                            

‘I changed my mind.’                                                                                          

  ‘What? Chioma was speechless.                                                                 Michael nodded. ‘We are going for an evening ride; don’t you think it will complete our perfect date?’Michael teased her.             

‘This isn’t a good idea and you know it. Everyone is worried about me…I should go home already.’                                                              

  ‘You are too eager to show them the ring. I like your style,’Michael said with a teasing smile.                                                                   

Chioma didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. But then, she felt that Michael must have a good reason for changing his mind all of a sudden. What was it? She wondered, glancing around as Michael took odd turns around the small and big streets, she realised that a smart car was following behind them when she looked in the rear-view mirror. She turned to Michael and said, ‘Someone is following us.’                                               

‘That’s my mother’s car. I am sure she must have seen the news and is eager to cause a scene. I don’t want you to get into another scandal.’

He always had her best interest at heart, Chioma smiled at the thought, finding Michael more adorable.                                                 

   After five or more minutes of turning around in circles, they got away from her.                                                                                                 

‘She has missed us,’Chioma said.                                                                      

‘So, our racing has ended. I can bring you home now,’Michael said with a smile.                                                                       

In a few minutes, Michael reached Chioma’s house. She stepped out excitedly, then waved him goodbye.                                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Letters To My Love

Chapter Four: A Casual but Exciting Proposal One sunny afternoon, as Night headed out to interview someone for her blog, she received a vi...