Tuesday, January 4, 2022

THe Moment I Met You (Chapter 590)

By Nightengale Ben-Onyeukwu


As the big wedding was going to be tomorrow, all thoughts were turned towards this big event. The wedding was a huge piece of entertainment news, and many local and international newspapers, social media reported the news. 

Chioma, who had been dreaming about her wedding, suddenly opened her eyes when she heard Louisa call her from the kitchen. She turned over in the bed and stretched. She had been dreaming of the man she was going to start a new life with as from tomorrow, and when Louisa broke into her dreams, she frowned a bit. But then, a warm flush ran through her body at the thought of belonging to Michael. She felt her heart filled with butterflies, like wedding butterflies.

There was not so much work for her to do, because Michael hired professional wedding planners to take care of everything. The elders also helped in the preparation of the wedding.

'I'm coming,' Chioma mumbled under her breath when Louisa called her again. She quickly tied her hair back and headed to the kitchen, almost colliding with Andrew.

'Watch out else you will have bruises and look ugly tomorrow,' Andrew teased her.

Chioma giggled, then clapped her hand over her mouth, 'All I need is to be careful and look the most beautiful, right?'

Andrew chuckled at the thought. 'If no one marries you, then be sure that I will marry you...' Andrew gave his sister a neck squeeze.

Louisa who was in the kitchen cooking breakfast with Bisi couldn't help but smile at her children. They were both dressed in blue floral pyjamas.

Seems like they were always meant to be together, but we can't stop destiny. We can't stop GOD...Tomorrow; Chioma was going to be a married woman. Andrew will miss you. I will miss you too, Louisa thought with a smile as she chopped the vegetables.

Chioma walked into the kitchen and hugged her mother from behind, pleased with the dishes which were filled one side of the counter, and glasses at the other side. A roast in the local oven filled the kitchen with delicious smell. Louisa and Bisi were preparing the dishes especially for friends who were coming to stay over against tomorrow.

'Mum, you've always been so good with everything you do,' Chioma laughed happily.

'You always make me jealous, don't you think?' Bisi said jealously.

Smiling, Chioma walked over to Bisi and hugged her. 'You're good too.'

Bisi smiled happily and asked, 'Do you have wedding butterflies?'

Chioma nodded with a smile.

'I felt like that as well when I was getting married to my husband... After tomorrow you will no longer belong to yourself but to someone else. You'll start a new life with him...'

'Can I see him today?' Chioma asked with a laugh.

'No, Chioma,' Louisa said firmly. 'It’s not right for the groom to see their bride the day before the wedding... From tomorrow he'll be all yours.'

Chioma pouted with a laugh. 'Mum, do you still believe in those old traditions? I have been seeing Michael for almost everyday…and seeing him today will bring bad luck to me?’ She chuckled. ‘I don’t believe that…Anyway, I will be going to the supermarket later to make a few purchases...'

'I could buy them for you,' Bisi offered.

'No, I will love to get them myself. I don't want to bother you too much...'

Just then, a knock was heard at the door, Chioma walked over to get it. She was surprised to see this tall and handsome man, dressed in a high-end blue suit.

'Chioma...' Nathan greeted.

'Nathan...what are you...' Chioma wanted to ask what he was doing at her house but she remembered that he left his wallet with Andrew and paused, smiling at him instead.

'I'm here for the wallet,' Nathan answered her thought.

'Okay.' Then, she turned towards Andrew's room and called him to get Nathan's wallet.

Andrew stood up from his desk when he heard that, grabbed the wallet and walked over. He greeted Nathan as he handed him the wallet.

Nathan opened the wallet after he had received it and took out the cash in it and handed it over to Andrew. 'Here, you go.'

'What's the meaning of this?' Amused, Andrew looked at Nathan.

'I am sorry to have bothered you.'

Andrew laughed lightly. 'Please, you don't have to do this. I helped you hold your wallet and don’t require any reward. Take the money back. My sister is getting married. I don't want to be greedy...'

'Okay.' Upon Andrew's refusal, Nathan didn't force it. Suddenly, the door of a black Rolls- Royce outside was pushed open and Jessica who was gorgeously dressed in a Dior belted gingham eyelet dress, a Sarah Flint brown sandals and a wavy blow out, gracefully stepped out, holding a beautifully wrapped box.

Chioma walked over to Jessica, smiling. 'Jess...'

Jessica nodded with a sweet smile and pressed the exquisite box into Chioma's hand. 'This is my special gift for your tomorrow, Chioma Chima. I couldn't wait for tomorrow. I just wanted to gift you this piece today...as well as thank you for your help towards me and my parents...'

'But your parents are still in detention...' Chioma felt slightly guilty.

Jessica smiled. 'Nathan told me that his father spoke to Michael and Michael told him to do whatever pleases him...that's good news because my parents will be there for your wedding. I couldn't have Michael but I'm glad that you have him...thank you so much Chioma.'

Chioma nodded.

Smiling, Jessica said, 'Open it...'

'Okay,' Chioma breathed. Then, she gently opened the box and saw the beautiful Briolette Diamond Necklace, which had cost a whopping sum of 11 million dollars, with moist eyes she hugged and thanked Jessica. She didn't even know that the glittering diamond had cost about 11 million. If she knew, she would never hesitate to return back the necklace to Jessica. 'I will always remember you whenever I put on this piece.'

Jessica smiled.

After Jessica and Nathan left, Chioma returned inside. She placed the box on the centre table and said, 'Jessica gifted it to me.'

'It's looks super expensive,' Bisi said, as she touched it.

Even those that weren't used to wearing jewelry will praise how beautiful the necklace was. Andrew stood up and took the bracelet from Bisi. After glancing at it, he slowly said, 'This stunning pendant necklace has 75.36 carat diamond... The piece also includes a Marquise-cut purplish pink diamond suspended above the briolette...' He paused. 'This two diamonds are joined by a briolette neck chain mounted in 18 carat rose and white gold...This necklace cost 11 million dollars...I had seen that same necklace online, that's how I know.'

'That's too much...Did Jessica tear through Nathan's wallet?' Louisa said, surprised at the high cost of the necklace.

Andrew handed Chioma the necklace. 'She gave it to you so take it.'

Chioma felt a bit awkward, as she turned to leave. 'I really love the beauty of this necklace but I can't accept it...the money is too much.'

'She has already given it to you, so keep it.' Andrew was calm.

'You don't think this is too much?' Chioma looked at Andrew, confused.

'Why would I think such? She caused you pain that was greater than 11 million dollars. This piece is not enough to pay for all of it,' Andrew smiled.

'Since it's for you, you should keep it,' Louisa said after a thought.

'Louisa is right. That girl has so much money to spend. I'm sure she wears costly ones...keep it,' Bisi suggested. 'Besides, it will be rude to return it after thanking her. She gifted it to you from her heart. You should accept it from your heart as well.'

Chioma sighed, not knowing whether to still keep the necklace or to return it. She had already promised Jessica to treasure the gift, and didn't want her to feel bad. But then, if she knew earlier that this gift was worth 11 million dollars, she would have rejected it.

Sola and the other old neighbours were to come over that afternoon to help with some work. Chisom and Audrey were going to be the bridesmaids, so they would come later in the evening as they had a lot to talk about.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Letters To My Love

Chapter Four: A Casual but Exciting Proposal One sunny afternoon, as Night headed out to interview someone for her blog, she received a vi...