Friday, January 22, 2021

The moment I met you (Chapter 86)

  By Nightengale Ben-Onyeukwu



‘Why not? This is my territory. It’s from this restaurant that I take care of myself.’ Chisom paused, and then her gaze fell on the high-end long beige comfortable quilted jacket Audrey was wearing, the scarf around her neck, and then to her dark hair, cascading all the way down her back. Chisom admired the long flowing hair, and thought that if Audrey were her friend, she would stroke the hair. She didn’t hate Audrey but was only afraid that Chioma might get hurt if she became friends with Audrey.                                                                                                      

Audrey looked up at Chisom. ‘Why did you pause in the middle of your speech? She smirked. ‘Oh, wait, were you admiring me? Go ahead. I won’t spank your butt for doing so. When I was in Diamond secondary school, lots of boys had pursued me. Every morning when I get to school, my study desk would be full of love letters. Some girls, who had a crush on a guy that has a crush on me, would send knives- threatening letters…’                                                                                              

‘Girls as beautiful as you rely on their beauty to juggle multiple men at the same time,’ Chisom snapped.                                                          

‘Well, you’re wrong because I threw away each letter without bothering to open any of them. I am from a rich and powerful home. So your thought of me is very wrong.’                                                                

Chisom felt touched by what Audrey said, but didn’t still show it. ‘If my friend had come from a high class family like yours, I’m sure you wouldn’t have asked her to run such a stupid errand for you.  You were born rich and didn’t know what it meant to be poor… you were born so beautiful that you became the subject of people’s attention wherever you go, unworried about what to eat, what to wear, places to go, cars to drive, you have all you want…’                                           

‘Do you hate rich people? Anyway poor folks out of frustration will chant how much the hate rich people. But I don’t hate poor people. I don’t care whether I marry rich or poor. I hate to play mind games. I hate to do things to please people. I prefer to stay out of competition… it’s not my fault that my innocent beauty, with sparkling beautiful eyes, captures the hearts of many people.’ She frowned at Chisom. ‘I am angry that you misunderstood my good intentions towards your friend.’ She paused and said after a moment of silence. ‘Chisom, there are some things that are better left unanswered… we’ll have to let destiny answer them for us.’     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Letters To My Love

Chapter Four: A Casual but Exciting Proposal One sunny afternoon, as Night headed out to interview someone for her blog, she received a vi...