Wednesday, December 22, 2021

The Moment I Met You (Chapter 322)

By Nightengale Ben-Onyeukwu



  Meanwhile, Felix sat in his study, his head lowered. He seemed to be thinking of something instead of examining the documents before him.                                                                                                    

When Audrey entered, he looked up to see her carrying a tray which contained a cup of coffee. She was dressed in a pale pinkish night robe; she looked elegant with her hair which fell down her shoulders.                

Placing the coffee before him, she said, ‘Coffee helps sometimes.’ She sat on the chair facing him.                                                                             

‘I’m not in the mood for coffee.’                                                                                

‘Big brother, Chioma didn’t only trick you but also big brother Michael.’                                                                                                             

 Felix didn’t speak.                                                                                   

  ‘I had asked her if she had a boyfriend, she said no. I didn’t know that she had bad intentions towards us. She was so tricky to play hard to get while in the real sense she was only trying to make you pursue her more.’                                                                                                             

Felix still remained silent. He just looked at Audrey.                                     

‘Big brother, it was my entire fault. If I had done a background check on her, you wouldn’t be suffering this heartache now.’ 

  ‘Chioma isn’t at fault. She had never loved me. She had always rejected my gifts. She doesn’t love me,’ Felix said.                                      

‘And she never told me that she was in love with someone else. She lied to me.’                                                                                                         

  ‘No. she had never lied to you. When you met her she hadn’t any boyfriend. But before I could win the sweep, Michael already won it. She met Michael before me, and she loves Michael more,’he paused, his voice small as he continued, ‘I love Chioma…my heart knows it. You know it, Celine knows it, Michael knows it, dad and mum know it…I was waiting for her to love me back so that all the world could see it, and tell our own love story. Unfortunately, I lost to Michael. To be honest Audrey, I never believed that I would fall in love with the girl that you chose for me, I never dreamed that I would love and cherish Chioma who is of a low background. When I fell in love with her I realised that true love has nothing to do with position, wealth, beauty…’                                     

‘I realised that too when I met Daniel…’Audrey said with a faint smile. ‘I thought I would love a man of the same status with me and get married and have children with him. I never thought that I would forget my own position and fall in love with a lowly man…but he has betrayed me. He knew all along that Chioma was seeing someone else and didn’t tell me about it…but since I have fallen in love with him, I can’t help but suppress my anger towards him…’                                                                  

‘In all my life, this is the first time to meet a woman that I love and wouldn’t want to let go…I have never met a woman like Chioma before, and I don’t know if I will meet another in the future. I wish I wasn’t in the same love story with Michael, I wish I had met Chioma first; I wish she loves me too. I wish I wrote this story myself, that way I could make myself the lead male character of the story and then Chioma will be the female lead. But instead of being the main lead, it seems that fate has made me the supporting lead of the story…I hate such roles.’      

 Audrey sighed, not saying more, she slowly stood up. Her eyes were already filled with tears. She didn’t want to look at the disappointment on Felix’s face. She turned around and left the study room.                                                                                                                   

 Felix didn’t believe that even at this moment that he should be furious with Chioma, he was still supporting her. He wondered why being in love hurt so much. Shouldn’t it be something of joy to be in love with someone you love? Felix couldn’t help but let his mind race with questions he couldn’t even answer himself.                                                                                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Letters To My Love

Chapter Four: A Casual but Exciting Proposal One sunny afternoon, as Night headed out to interview someone for her blog, she received a vi...