Friday, December 31, 2021

The Moment I Met You (Chapter 454)

 By Nightengale Ben-Onyeukwu                  




The following day, the news spread like wildfire. The explosive news was extremely overbearing for Emmanuel. Even the local newspapers which he controlled, had never received such a cold reception from people. Emmanuel’s position as the governor of Imo State couldn’t save him from all his crimes. This was because Michael sent his crime to all the people that had attended the party. Before, the Njemanze family could have helped him clear his name. However, this time, it was Michael himself that exposed his crimes and no one would dare challenge that because those crimes had been committed by Emmanuel.                                                                                                            

The entire nation was against Emmanuel’s behaviour. Even those that previously collaborated with him, those that ate and dined with him, his friends who are rich CEOs of big companies, when confronted by the media about this issue refused to utter any word. Not that they didn’t want to help Emmanuel, but they knew that no matter what they said no one would listen to them. They believed in Michael Njemanze and they knew that he wasn’t the type to lie against others.

            

  Of course, regarding this Edward did not know how to begin helping Emmanuel. He was actually helpless.                                                    

At the time the news was released to the public, Nathan contacted Emmanuel. Although he despised Emmanuel because he was only supporting Jessica for Michael while he was thrown to the mud by him, Nathan still felt that he should help him and that was because he was still in love with Jessica.                                                                                    

Nathan stood by the window of his bedroom and after a deep thought; he picked up his phone from the centre table and rang Emmanuel. ‘I know we hate each other but I will still try my best to persuade either Michael or my father to help you,’ he said when Emmanuel answered the call.                                                                                 

   ‘No matter what you do, it would never be able to save my reputation. Michael had already destroyed it and am about to be impeached. I know we hate each other but I don’t blame you for this.’          

 


At this same moment, the media went to Star Restaurant to do a live entertainment news broadcast just at the entrance of the restaurant.

  ‘I have read a story about mother and daughter falling in love with the same family…this is my first time to see such thing happen. The mother had to give up because she was not qualified for the Njemanze family but her daughter Chioma seems to be winning as Michael Njemanze told the world that he would only love her. Patricia Njemanze, yesterday revealed that she made a promise to Louisa of which must be kept and that was letting her son marry Chioma, thereby discarding Jessica who had committed so many crimes…Right now a huge number of fans have gathered here today, not because they hate Chioma, but because they were curious or rather shocked to know that the slummy girl’s mother shared a past with the Njemanze family.’                         

  ‘We can see live at the scene, plenty of banners and signs, everyone here is trying to know how Chioma met Michael. They wanted to know if Chioma used her mother’s past to get close to Michael. We are waiting for Chioma to come out and share her story with us. On behalf of the reporters present, I pray Michael and Chioma’s love story doesn’t end as Edward and Louisa’s story. Well if it didn’t end, Michael and Chioma would have been siblings instead of lovers.’                                   

  After seeing the news, Audrey reached for the remote and turned off the TV. She then turned to Isabelle who was walking down the stairs, dressed in an emerald home clothe.                                                        

   ‘Mum, the love story of Michael has surpassed that of Romeo and Juliet. You’ll be part of the story as well. I think it was fate that led Chioma to Michael.’ She was eating with relish a 10 dollars bucket of KFC chicken.                                                                                                        

Isabelle nodded but never uttered a word.                                     

‘Mum…I didn’t know that Aunt Patricia would side Chioma after she found Aunt Louisa. Was Chioma’s mother really that good?’              

‘Yes, Louisa was a good woman. She was never after Edward’s money…she had saved Patricia and I from a car accident. Her daughter deserves to be with Michael,’ Isabelle replied calmly.                     

  ‘Felix is the one hurting from this but I know that just like father he will find someone as good as you,’ Audrey smiled.                                                   



Meanwhile, Patricia was standing at the balcony of their mansion pruning flowers when Rebecca called her.                                      

  ‘I have already arranged for the best lawyers to help with your case. I am assuming that at this time they are warming up to help your family but then Rebecca, you know that your husband can never win neither will you. So, I am asking you to do a public apology. It might be able to save you but it can’t help your ruined reputation.’                            

‘What about my daughter?’ Rebecca’s voice sounded calm and distant. ‘Are you still going to let that slummy girl into your house?’               

‘Yes, Rebecca. My son loves her I don’t want to keep fighting her. I’m sorry Rebecca but you know these lawyers only agreed to help you because of my parents even though they are afraid to go against my son…I sincerely wish your family well but I will never jeopadise my son’s happiness anymore.’                                                                                                          

‘Patricia, will you just throw my daughter off because of that slummy girl?’                                                                                                                         Patricia remained silent as she continued what she was doing. The phone was already on loudspeaker so she heard Rebecca loud and clear.                                                                                                        

‘Patricia, did you know that I have looked through the abuse online and I am very upset that your son was the reason for it. My eyes are swollen from crying…’

            

  ‘You deserve it,’ Patricia replied, putting down the scissors in her hand and retrieved the phone which she had placed on the table.                        

‘How could you say that to me? You know that with what your son has done my family’s name will be ruined forever. Please tell your son to stop what he had started.’

‘I can only help you with the best legal team from Jumbo oil and gas, nothing more.’                                                                                    

‘I don’t need any lawyer my husband is not a child to be seeking for lawyers because he has so many of them. I only want you to tell Michael to stop the mess he has started.’                                                               

‘Your daughter crossed the line, Rebecca. Even if she hates Chioma so much, she could have waited for the party to be over before hiring people to beat her up. I know that I hated that girl until when I heard that she was Louisa’s daughter but I would never pay anyone to hurt her. I had tolerated Jessica so much because I sincerely loved her, but I think that from now on my son’s happiness should come first…’                          

 ‘How could you change so suddenly like weather?’                             

‘Because my son’s happiness is involved. We are both mothers and we will always want our children to be happy.’ Patricia didn’t want to go on with the topic so she hung up and reached for the scissors to continue with what she was doing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Letters To My Love

Chapter Four: A Casual but Exciting Proposal One sunny afternoon, as Night headed out to interview someone for her blog, she received a vi...